Flanders Audiovisual Fund
Where can you get production funding in Flanders?
- VAF, the cultural fund, provides help for co-productions with a clear creative added value for the Flemish film community of both filmmakers and producers.
- Screen Flanders , the economic film fund, is the right contact point for co-productions that will spend a sufficient amount of money in the Flemish Region.
- The Belgian tax shelter is also an attractive incentive for foreign productions, co-produced with Belgium.
If you want to co-produce with Flanders, the best first step is to contact a Flemish co-producer who knows the support systems in Flanders and Belgium. He or she will guide your project through the existing procedures.
What is VAF, what does VAF do?
The Flanders Audiovisual Fund (VAF) is the cultural public funding body of Belgium's Flemish Community.
It includes three specialized funds:
- The VAF/Film Fund co-finances the production of individual films in various genres: fiction, animation, documentary and experimental film. Feature films, medium-length and short films are all eligible. For applications concerning foreign films, financing must be at least 50% complete or have a production support commitment from the lead territory's selective film fund.
- The VAF/Media Fund focuses on the co-financing of high-quality television series developed in co-production with a Flemish TV broadcaster. This includes fiction, animation, documentary and cross-media developments of TV series. For applications concerning foreign series, at least 50% of the financing must be guaranteed, with at least 20% of funding coming from Flanders. It is also a requirement that a Flemish television broadcaster should be financially involved in the production of foreign series.
- The VAF/Game Fund co-finances the development of video games by games companies in Flanders and Brussels.
In addition, VAF has a promotional department, known as Flanders Image, along with a wide range of accompanying activities and support measures in the area of talent development, research, film culture and sustainability - the latter known as 'e-Mission'.
For more information about VAF:
- tel: +32 2 226.06.30